Tips for Academic Success
1. Come to school with a positive attitude
* respect your teachers, classmates, yourself and the learning process
* find ways to get involved and enjoy your high school experience
2. Commit to your own learning
* set goals and work hard to meet them
* tell yourself that giving up is not an option!
3. Be prepared
* know what you need to do each day, keep track of deadlines, due dates, test/quiz days, etc...
* bring all required materials to class each day
* bring home all materials necessary to complete homework each night
4. Get organized
* create an organizational system that works best for you, i.e. binders, color-coding, calendar, to-do lists, etc...
* use separate binders/notebooks for each class if possible
* use your agenda book daily to write down assignments and homework
* consider keeping homework in a homework folder that stays in your bag
5. Do your homework...and don't forget to hand it in!
* completing homework each night ensures that you get the necessary practice to learn the topic, and that you are prepared for the next class
* doing your homework is an easy way to boost your grades
* take the time to prepare well for tests and quizzes, as they comprise the largest percentage of your overall grade
* be sure to have a quiet, well-lit area for studying
* review material over several days; cramming the night before a test is not recommended
* study with a friend, or have someone quiz you on the material
7. Get help if needed
* stay after school with your teachers if you have questions or need clarification
* don't be afraid to ask questions in class; chances are other students have the same question, too
* talk to your school counselor if you are struggling
When students, parents, teachers and school counselors work together, we can help every student be successful!